· any degree of physical disability, infirmity, malformation or disfigurement that is caused by bodily injury, birth defect or illness and, without limiting the generality of the foregoing, includes diabetes mellitus, epilepsy, a brain injury, any degree of paralysis, amputation, lack of physical co-ordination, blindness or visual impediment, deafness or hearing impediment, muteness or speech impediment, or physical reliance on a guide dog or other animal or on a wheelchair or other remedial appliance or device;
· a condition of mental impairment or a developmental disability;
· a learning disability, or dysfunction in one or more of the processes involved in understanding or using symbols or spoken language;
· a mental disorder;
· an injury or disability for which benefits were claimed or received under the insurance plan established under the Workplace Safety and Insurance Act, 1997.
· it is readily apparent that the animal is used by the person for reasons relating to his or her disability; or
· if the person provides a letter from a physician or nurse confirming that the person requires the animal for reasons relating to the disability.
· it is readily apparent to an average person that the dog functions as a service dog for a person with a medical disability; or
· the person who requires the dog can provide on request a letter from a physician or nurse confirming that the person requires a service dog.
In accordance with the Accessibility Standards for Customer Service, Ontario Regulation 429/07, this policy addresses the following:
Ř The Provision of Goods and Services to Persons with Disabilities
Ř The Use of Assistive Devices
Ř The Use of Guide Dogs, Service Animals and Service Dogs
Ř The Use of Support Persons
Ř Notice of disruptions
Ř Customer Feedback
Ř Notice of Availability and Format of Required Documents
Viking Fire Protection inc. will make every reasonable effort to ensure that its policies, practices and procedures are consistent with the principles of dignity, independence, integration and equal opportunity by:
· ensuring that all customers receive the same value and quality;
· allowing customers with disabilities to do things in their own ways, at their own pace when accessing goods and services as long as this does not present a safety risk;
· using alternative methods when possible to ensure that customers with disabilities have access to the same services, in the same place and in a similar manner;
· taking into account individual needs when providing goods and services; and
· communicating in a manner that takes into account the customer's disability.
Persons with disabilities may use their own assistive devices as required when accessing goods or services provided by Viking Fire Protection inc. In cases where the assistive device presents a safety concern or where accessibility might be an issue, other reasonable measures will be used to ensure the access of goods and services.
A customer with a disability that is accompanied by a guide dog, service animal or service dog will be allowed access to premises unless otherwise excluded by law.
Dog Owners' Liability Act, Ontario: If there is a conflict between a provision of this Act or of a regulation under this or any other Act relating to banned breeds (such as pitbulls) and a provision of a by-law passed by a municipality relating to these breeds, the provision that is more restrictive in relation to controls or bans on these breeds prevails.
If it is not readily apparent that the animal is being used by the customer for reasons relating to his or her disability, Viking Fire Protection inc. may request verification from the customer. Verification may include:
· a letter from a physician or nurse confirming that the person requires the animal for reasons related to the disability;
· a valid identification card signed by the Attorney General of Canada; or,
· a certificate of training from a recognized guide dog or service animal training school.
The customer that is accompanied by a guide dog, service dog and/or service animal is responsible for maintaining care and control of the animal at all time.
If a health and safety concern presents itself for example in the form of a severe allergy to the animal, Viking Fire Protection inc. will make all reasonable efforts to meet the needs of all individuals.
· goods or services that are disrupted or unavailable
· reason for the disruption
· anticipated duration
· a description of alternative services or options
Viking Fire Protection inc. shall provide customers with the opportunity to provide feedback on the service provided to customers with disabilities. Information about the feedback process will be readily available to all customers and notice of the process will be made available on our website.
Training will be provided to:
a) all employees, volunteers, agents and/or contractors who deal with the public or other third parties that act on behalf of Viking Fire Protection Inc.
b) those who are involved in the development and approval of customer service policies, practices and procedures.
c) Training will be provided to actual and new employees who deal with the public or act on our behalf. Revised training will be provided in the event of changes to legislation, procedures and/or practices.
Viking Fire Protection inc. shall notify customers that the documents related to the Accessibility Standard for Customer Service are available upon request and in a format that takes into account the customer's disability. Notification will be given by posting the information on our website.